Have you ever noticed that when people are discouraged their heads hang down?
We humans tend to look downward, not upward, when life crashes in.
If you don’t believe this, just look around. These days, people from all walks of life, are walking through life with heads hanging down. Life for many has turned topsy-turvy. People’s heads-down posture reflects the confusion and frustration they are feeling in their hearts. Tossed about by the winds of negative cultural, political and economic change beyond their control, many heads are spinning in disbelief. Disillusioned and discouraged with the way things are heading, discouraged people hang their heads in despair.
Discouragement simply means lack of courage. When life’s challenges confront us head on and can overwhelm us, it’s tempting to lose courage and hang our head down.
But life gets hung up when our heads hang down.
I see a number of difficulties with head down living.
- Head down means I can’t see Jesus! The Lord is up, not down. His throne is in heaven, not on earth (see Isaiah 6:1-6, Romans 8:34, Philippians 2:9-11). We won’t find Gods’ help by looking around, heads pointing to the ground. The up look is the outlook of victory!
- Head down means I can’t see where I am going. Proverbs 4:25-27 exhorts us to keep our eyes looking directly ahead. Why? Because the future is forward, in front of us. Head down means eyes are grounded. Dag Hammarskjold, former UN Secretary General said “Never look down to test the ground before taking your next step; only he who keeps his eye fixed on the far horizon will find his right road.” Head up means eyes are fixed on God’s next steps to success.
- Head down means I can’t keep a lookout for the enemy. Satan will bushwhack us when we are looking down instead of up. The devil delights in destroying people who hang their heads in discouragement and defeat.
It is a fact of battle: soldiers can’t fight off an enemy they can’t see. Neither can good soldiers of Jesus Christ crush Satan under their feet if they can’t see him. We can identify Satan and his deceptive strategy when our heads are in the up position.
So keep your head up. Always be on the alert. Wide awake in the Spirit. Scan the spiritual horizon for the enemy. When you spot the adversary of your soul, submit to God, resist the devil and the evil one will flee from you (James 4:7)
- Head down means I can’t encourage someone else. How can I lift somebody up when my head is hanging down in discouragement? It is not possible to lift up others if we aren’t uplifted ourselves! There are people around you who need encouragement. Encouragement always chases away discouragement.
Head up means you are encouraged. So keep your head up. People need to see you looking up with the glory of God on your face!
Here’s a heads-up for success in life: KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!!
Tough, challenging times call for courage. It takes spiritual and emotional “guts” to choose to keep our head up when our heart tells our head to hang down.
David declares in Psalm 28:7 “Lift up your heads, O Gates and be lifted up ancient doors, that the King of glory may come in!”
Our verse is a reference to the Temple gates and doors. When God comes to His holy house, He expects the gates and doors to be wide open. Gates are to be up, in proper position, and operational—open for the King of glory to enter.
The welcome mat is out when the gates are lifted up.
Christians are the temple of the Holy Spirit (I Corinthians 6:18-20). Our Heavenly Father, Almighty God himself lives in us. So we are to lift up our heads and open the doors of our heart for the King of King and Lord of Lords to enter. When the King of glory indwells us, we are filled with divine glory that puts a smile on our face, a bounce in our step and a holy boldness in our daily life!
How To Keep Your Head Up When It Wants To Hang Down!
- Dwell upon the truth that the resurrected Jesus is holding His head up high in heaven, not hanging it down on a cross.
- Decide to live life head-up, not head down.
- Determine to keep your head up no matter what is happening.
- Discipline yourself to keep your head up when other’s heads are hanging down.
- Dedicate yourself to help others keep their heads up in tough times.
- Delight that the devil is defeated when Christians hold their heads high in Christ.
- Dance for joy knowing God helps those who keep their heads up!
Need some help holding your head up? Look to the Lord for help. “But Thou, O Lord, art a shield about me, my glory, and the One who lifts my head.” Psalm 3:3. The Lord Himself will help you keep your head up and teach you how you can keep your head lifted up on your own.
My fellow Christian, heads up! Look to Jesus. Expect Him to visit you with fresh power for victorious Christian living! Allow the Lord to renew your heart. Then keep your head up to meet life head on with faith and power in Jesus’ name.
“And the Lord will make you the head and not the tail, and you only shall be above and you shall not be underneath, if you will listen to the commandments of the Lord your God which I charge you today, to observe them carefully.”
A Word For Your Week:
Keep your head up, because in Christ, you are the head!