Burnout is looking at life and saying, “Yuck!” It’s that all too familiar feeling of the blahs that lead to the blues. Burnout is rapidly becoming the emotional plague of our day. But burnout doesn’t have to win…
Men and women of all ages and stages of life find themselves physically, emotionally, spiritually and relationally weary. Worn out and running on the edge of utter exhaustion, stressed out individuals are dropping like flies from the rat race we call life. They are burned out. Simply put: People are too pooped out to go on! Burnout is beating them down and stopping them from enjoying a successful and satisfying life. But there is good news for those who have been bitten by the burnout bug. Burnout does not have to win.
It is not God’s will or desire for us to burnout in life. That “yucky” feeling can be overcome. Personal commitment to balanced living that includes generous portions of rest, relaxation and seasons of refreshing as well as stress relieving attitudes and activities will head burnout off at the pass. Burnout can be beaten. These topics contain quotes that will to help you minimize stress and maximize success in your life.
YOU CAN BE A BURNOUT BEATER!
- Life and Little Things
- Pace and Limits
- Patience and Timing
- Stress and Worry
- WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. SLEEP HARD. PRAY HARD.
- The lighter side is a great balancer to the serious side of life.
- Physical WORKOUTS help prevent emotional BURNOUTS.
- Chasing after mere pleasure is a confession of an unsatisfied life.
- Give yourself permission to not feel guilty about taking some time off.
- If you want to stay sane, spaz out and be a carefree child for a while.
- “Two powerful truths I have learned about contentment. First, if we are not satisfied with what we have today, we will never be satisfied with what we have tomorrow. Secondly, contentment is knowing I already have everything I need in Christ.” ~Gary Smalley
- “Godliness with contentment is a means of great gain.” ~I Timothy 6:6
- “Fortify yourself with contentment, for it is an impregnable force.” ~Epictetus
- “Burnout clouds our vision, depresses our spirit, saps our energy and steals our joy.” ~Steve Roll
- “A person is healed from burnout when he receives a fresh revelation from God.” ~Malcolm Smith
- Experiencing burnout? Tune out your troubles and tune in to God’s truth.
- “They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they will mount up with wings as eagles, they will run and not become weary; they shall walk and not faint.”Isaiah 40:31
- Unrealistic, unfilled expectations set people up for a bout with burnout.
- “For I satisfy the weary ones and refresh everyone that languishes.” Jeremiah 31:25
4 STEPS TO BEAT BURNOUT
- ADMIT you’re burned out.
- SUBMIT yourself to God’s renewing and restoring process.
- COMMIT to do whatever it takes to be renewed.
- TRANSMIT your newfound enthusiasm for life to others!
- The best therapy in the world is trusting God–and it’s free!
- “Let go and relax, and know that I am God.” Psalm 46:10
- RELAX. God is in control. Burnout can’t beat you when you put your trust in the Lord.
- My success is God’s problem, not mine.
- “Faithful is He who calls you, for He also will bring it to pass.”
- I Thessalonians 5:24
- I CAN “LET GO AND LET GOD” BECAUSE HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING.
- Things run a lot smoother when I make it easy on myself and hard on God.
- Remember when frustrated: NOTHING IS TOO DIFFICULT FOR GOD!!!
- The world is not interested in the storms you encountered, but did you bring the ship in?
- DO YOU HAVE INVISIBLE MEANS OF SUPPORT?
- “Draw near to God and he will draw near to you.” James 4:9
- WHO ARE YOU TRUSTING ANYWAY?
“YOUR FUTURE IS FORWARD. So burn yesterday’s bridges, leave past burnout behind, and push ahead by faith into the wonderful of tomorrow God has planned for you.” ~Steve Roll
“Write in your heart that every day is the best day of the year.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
“All God’s giants have been weak men who did great things for God because they reckoned on His being with them.”
~J. Hudson Taylor
“You’re born an original, don’t die a copy!” ~John Mason
“What I perceive…determines what I receive…which determines what I achieve.” ~John Maxwell
- In your pursuit to own the garden, don’t forget to smell the roses.
- “When you cease to make a contribution, you begin to die.” Eleanor Roosevelt
- Feel out of balance? Burnout nipping at your heels? Hold your spouse’s hand and take a leisurely stroll through the park. Watch the squirrels frolic in the trees. Listen to the melodic music of the bright red Cardinals. Chase the puffy, cotton-ball clouds with your eyes as they speed across the blue sky. Take in a deep breathe of fresh air and thank God for life.
- Reached your limit? Sink into a hot tub and thank God for His goodness.
- Kick back in your easy chair and enjoy some classical music
- Drive out into the country. Indulge in a delicious piece of homemade pie with your sweetheart at a mom and pop restaurant.
- Take your shoes off. Walk barefoot on the soft, green grass. Enjoy a double-dip ice cream cone.
- Watch reruns of “I Love Lucy,” “Dick Van Dyke,” “Newhart,” “Mary Tyler Moore,” and “The Beverly Hillbillies.”
- “Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.” Proverbs 23:4
Life is a sacred gift entrusted to me. Every person, moment and event that comes from my Heavenly Father’s hand is precious. Choosing not to despise small beginnings or slow starts, I will also choose to thoroughly enjoy each and every little happening that crosses my path this day. I will rejoice and give thanks for the “little things” which are truly the “big things” of life.
- Burnout can’t beat you when you know your limits and respect them.
- God gave us boundaries, not to curse us, but to bless us!
- “BE AT PEACE WITH GOD’S PACE!” Steve Roll
- Run your race at your pace–BURNOUT!
- Run your race at God’s pace–WIN OUT!
- “The trouble with life in the fast lane is that you get to the other end in an awful hurry.” John Jensen
- You aren’t invincible. You can’t do everything. You can’t always do what others can do. So quit being so uptight. Do what you can and enjoy life!
- Pace and peace are intimately related.
- GOD’S WORK must be done GOD’S WAY.
- “The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and He delights in the way he takes.” Psalm 37:23
- It is better to pace yourself wisely, than to wind up with a pacemaker!
- HURRY IS THE MOTHER OF MOST MISTAKES.
- “Our soul waits for the Lord; He is our help and our shield.” Psalm 33:20
- “Our times are in God’s hands.” Isaiah 31:15
- Everything is taxed–even our patience!
- “In patience, possess your souls.” ~Jesus Christ
- True patience, the kind that beats burnout means WAITING WITHOUT WORRYING.
- Everything is perfect in God’s time. Sometimes we burnout because we are trying to run ahead of the Lord.
- Patience–in time the grass becomes milk.
- The secret of patience is doing something else in the meanwhile.
- “God has made everything appropriate in its time.” Ecclesiastes 3:11
- Be patient and kind. For everyone is fighting a hard battle.
- “LIFE IS HARD BY THE YARD; BUT BY THE INCH, LIFE IS A CINCH!” ~Robert Schuller
- Patience is accepting a difficult situation without giving God a deadline to remove it.
- Cemeteries are full of people who burned out before their time.
- “Having it all doesn’t mean having it all at once. It takes time. Start small and concentrate on today. The slow accumulation of disciplines will one day make a dig difference.” ~John Maxwell
- Patience is a bitter plant but it bears sweet fruit. ~German Proverb
- PURSUE THE DREAM THAT BURNS IN YOUR HEART ~ AND WAIT FOR GOD TO MAKE IT COME TRUE!
- Life is 10% what you make it and 90% how you take it.
- A man is rich according to what he is, not what he has.
- Man lives in one of two tents: content or discontent.
- Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to successfully cope with it.
- Do not worry whether or not the sun will rise; be prepared to enjoy it!
- “For you shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace.”
- Isaiah 55:12
- Peace rules the day when Christ rules the heart.
- BE SATISFIED TO BE THE VERY BEST PERSON GOD HAS MADE YOU TO BE.
- “Great peace have those who love Thy law; and nothing shall cause them to stumble.” Psalm 119:165
- “I will lie down and sleep in peace, for You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.” Psalm 4:8
- “Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him.” Psalm 37:7
- “In quietness and confidence will be your strength.” Isaiah 30:15
- Life pressing in a bit? Get away and be alone with God.
- Learn to listen to the still small voice of God. His unconditional love for you will calm troubled waters swirling around you.
- All work and no play makes a person dull, boring, and a prime candidate for full blown burnout.
- “God’s will for man is not to rust out or burnout but to walk out His plan for their lives in a peaceful, productive and overcoming manner.” ~Steve Roll
- “WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, AND WAIT SOME MORE when you are stressed out and tempted to react negatively to life.” ~Steve Roll
- Those who live in a worry invite burnout and death in a hurry.
- Worry never accomplishes anything except wrinkles–which gives you another thing to worry about!
- “DON’T WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING. PRAY ABOUT EVERYTHING.” Philippians 4:6
- When life tightens up because of stress, lighten up with a little laughter.
- “A joyful heart is good medicine.” Proverbs 17:22
- Stop taking yourself so seriously–very few others do!
- It isn’t the load that weighs us down. It is the way we carry it.
- Worry is like a rocking chair; it will give you something to do, but it won’t get you anywhere.
- “CAST ALL YOUR CARES ON HIM FOR HE CARES FOR YOU.” I Peter 5:7
- “Let go of your hurts unless you want burnout to sneak in the backdoor of your heart.” ~Steve Roll
- “Attitude determines altitude. How you respond to stress determines how high or low you go in life.” ~John Maxwell
- “Pray it up; play it down.” ~Robert Schuller
- STRESS RELIEVER: “Learn to laugh at your troubles and you will never run out of things to laugh at!” ~Lyn Carol
- “The counterfeit trinity is me, myself and I.” ~Edwin Louis Cole